The Power of Smile ™ Oral Health Library
Stay up to date on the current topics and trends in dentistry. Articles are updated regularly on topics that discuss the importance of oral health as it relates to overall health from our team of experts.
Meet The Clinicians
Learn about current topics and trends in dentistry and the importance of oral health as it relates to overall health from our team of experts.
Eileen Crespo, MD
Dr. Eileen Crespo is the Vice President of Medical Services at Delta Dental of Minnesota. Dr. Crespo is a practicing pediatrician of 20 years. She is currently a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and a member of the Board of Directors at Children’s Dental Service and the Minnesota Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
R. Bruce Templeton, DMD
Dr. Bruce Templeton is an oral surgeon and has served both on the board and as a medical consultant for Delta Dental of Minnesota since 2011. Dr. Templeton has served as both the Chief of Dentistry and Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery at the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System, and as a clinical professor at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry.
James O'Meara, DDS
Dr. James O’Meara is the Vice President of Dental Services at Delta Dental of Nebraska. Dr. O’Meara is also an Associate Professor of Adult Restorative Dentistry at the University of Nebraska College of Dentistry. He practiced General Dentistry In Des Moines, Iowa for thirteen years and also was an Associate Professor of General Dentistry at the Creighton University School of Dentistry for 21 years.
- Interdental cleaners: how to choose
- What does snoring do to your mouth?
- Mental health & oral health in youth
- What is root canal treatment and when is it needed?
- Oral Cancer and Head & Neck Cancer Awareness
- Do dental fillings or restorations need to be replaced?
- How do our teeth change as we age?
- What do my teeth tell me about my health?
- How do I know if I have a cavity?
- Taste Buds Grow Up Too
- Clinician's Corner: Baby Teeth, The Building Blocks to a Healthy Smile
- Canker and cold sores
- Why do hot and cold hurt my teeth?
- Chewing gum: a sticky subject
- TMJ Awareness Month
- Thanksgiving cravings to make you smile
- Mouthwash – ask a dentist!
- Scare away cavities this Halloween
- What's new in dentistry?
- Mental health & your smile - the connection
- What kind of toothbrush should I buy?
- Monkeypox guidelines to keep you safe
- Dentures - options and care
- Rehydration - which drinks are best for your oral health?
- 10 Tips for Oral Health and Pregnancy
- 5 foods you didn’t know were good for your teeth
- Ask an Expert: Basics of Toothbrushing
- Athletic mouthguards to protect teeth
- Cannabis (marijuana) and your oral health
- Choosing between a general and pediatric dentist
- Clinician's Corner: A beginner's guide to braces
- Clinician's Corner: Baby teeth— the building blocks to a healthy smile
- Clinician's Corner: Caring for & cleaning braces
- Clinician's Corner: Dental dangers on TikTok
- Clinician's Corner: Dentures do's and don'ts
- Clinician's Corner: Losing Baby Teeth
- Clinician's Corner: Oral health & the immune system
- Clinician's Corner: Pearls of wisdom... teeth!
- Clinician's Corner: Raising a cavity-free kid
- Clinician's Corner: Tips for dealing with dry mouth
- Clinician’s Corner: Acidic drinks & your teeth
- Clinician’s Corner: Dental Sealants
- Clinician’s Corner: Keep kids smiling all summer!
- Clinician’s Corner: Teeth grinding & COVID-19
- Dentists, your child and oral health
- Guide to your child’s teeth
- Gum disease, tooth loss and heart health
- Help your child floss](/article/help-your-child-floss
- How the sun can keep your smile shining
- Oral health in middle-age (30-50 year olds)
- Osteoporosis medications & oral health
- Preventing early childhood cavities
- The connection between diabetes and oral health
- What to do when your child has a toothache
What do I do if my child won’t brush or floss their teeth?
Brushing and flossing our teeth are the most important measures for cavity prevention. However, sometimes children do not want to adopt these habits. Here are some ideas that can make good oral health more fun for the whole family!
New Year's reso-tooth-tions!
Make sure you brush up on oral health in 2024! Learn how often you should replace your supplies to keep smiling this year.
Which toothpaste is right for you?
What starts off as an easy choice becomes overly complicated when faced with so many options. Let us help you decide which toothpaste you should use based on your oral health needs.
Oral health tips for the holidays
Enjoy your holiday festivities without sacrificing your oral health by keeping these tips in mind. 🎅
How eating disorders affect your oral health
Dentists and their teams can be the first to detect a patient’s eating disorder because early warning signs can appear in the mouth.
Building a healthy plate this Thanksgiving
Even when enjoying festive foods and drinks, you can still care for your oral health. Here are some ideas for creating a balanced and nutritious plate this Thanksgiving.
Genetics & cavities
Genetics shape many things about you – including things that impact your oral health.
5 mistakes to avoid when flossing your teeth
Brushing our teeth does not remove build-up or bacteria between our teeth. We need floss to clean those hard-to-reach places. Avoid these mistakes to floss more effectively!
5 mistakes to avoid when brushing your teeth
Are you a toothbrushing expert? Let's find out! Take a look at these common mistakes and make corrections to keep your smile in its best condition.
Healthy Aging Month — and mouth!
September is Healthy Aging Month, a perfect time to take a look at what habits we need to ensure we have a healthy aging mouth.
Trend alert: Tooth gems
Tooth gems are a way to add a unique look to your smile; however, modifying teeth in this way can have negative oral health consequences. Learn the facts about these accessories before deciding if they are right for you.
Tips to begin a healthy school year
The new school year is a great time to freshen your family's oral health supplies! Here are a few suggestions to add to your back-to-school shopping lists.